Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Affordable luxury....

Affordable luxury - what on earth does it mean? Just had an e-mail from a PR company proclaiming that their product (Prosecco since you ask) offers Affordable Luxury. I'm not complaining that they sent a 293-word press release as an attachment (although why do they bother?). And I'm not carping about the fact that, not being the world's best typist, I never seem to be able to type affrodable correctly (just as with Chinati). It's more that I'm questioning the concept of affrodable, sorry, affordable luxury. I like oxymorons (or oxymora? - discuss). Sweet sorrow, plastic cork, interesting Liebfraumilch, and so on. So is that the idea here? If so, then I'd beg to differ. The T K Maxx mentality is all the rage in Britain. We balk at buying a Tesco own-brand shirt for £10, but we'll happily buy a YSL/Pierre Cardin/Ben Sherman one that has been reduced to £10 (good job no one is fooled into doing similar things with wine...) But at least those brands do have a semblance of up-market-ability about them. But Prosecco - when did that become upmarket? I've said it before, and I'll say it agin, it's the Pinot Grigio of the sparkling wine world. For some reason, it has acquired a level of cachet that is out of all proportion to its quality. Yes, the good examples can be very nice - and I use the word 'nice' on purpose - but most of the wines are not exactly head-turners. For me, the word 'luxury' should only be applied to things that I want to cross the street for. And in the vast majority of instances and with notable exceptions (Nino Franco, top Bisols, for example) it shouldn't be used for Prosecco.

No comments: